Saturday 12 October 2013

Thankful for the Harvest

Today, I spent my morning much like I spend every Saturday:  At the AMAZING Summerside Farmers' Market.  The really awesome part was that my Mom and Dad are visiting for the weekend from Cape Breton, so Ethan enjoyed some quality Grammy and Pappa time.  But, as we went around to the different vendors, I was mindful of the bountiful variety of local, fresh, and in most cases, organic food that is available here.  

I'm grateful to say that much of our Thanksgiving dinner this year comes from a farm that is just down the road from us, in Lower Bedeque, called Crystal Green Farms.  Our turkey, carrots, and potatoes all come from there, completely organic.  But the most incredible part for me in all of this is that not only is the food organic, but I've been having the time of my life getting to know these people and why they do what they do. 

I'm also excited that the bread that will be on our table is made by one of our church families from Cape Traverse, also local and made with fresh, local ingredients.  So much yummy-ness!  






And, to top it off (and my favourite part of turkey dinner), the cranberries and honey used to sweeten them also come from here on PEI :)  I absolutely love the smell of cranberries cooking on the stove, and hearing the "pop" as they simmer, mixing sweetly with the honey.  And then there's the taste! As they mix with the turkey and fresh vegetables, so much goodness! 

So, in short, I'm grateful for experiencing so much that has to do with putting the food on our table this year.  From knowing the farmers and bakers and how they do it, to knowing where the majority of it comes from, and finally, experiencing the cooking of it in our kitchen and sharing it around a table surrounded by family, it would seem as though the word "GRATEFUL" isn't enough.  

And so I wish you, my family and friends, a grace-filled Thanksgiving.  May God's goodness be always close, and the next wonder-filled adventure be close too!





2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said Catherine. Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool you are able to use so much local food for your thanksgiving meal!

    ReplyDelete