Tuesday 8 October 2013

Puzzled...

Tonight, I am deeply troubled and puzzled by what happened in the Nova Scotia Election.  I know, I live in PEI, but since I was born and lived most of my life in NS, I can't help but be interested in what happens there, especially politically.  

Ok, so the government party has switched again.  That's not my issue, because even though I am disappointed by certain outcomes (especially for a certain Mat Whynott), I understand that political tides ebb and flow, depending on the mood of the people.  I also don't go on political rants very often, especially when it comes to parties, because in many ways, they seem quite similar to me.  

What does leave me puzzled and troubled is this:  Why, in a country where we have political freedom, and not ideal democracy, but democracy nonetheless, do people choose not to exercise that privilege??!!  Do we not watch the news and see country after country around the world, where people give up their lives so that they can somehow have a say in what goes on with their leaders?  And yet, we sit here, apathetic to what goes on, with the thought that our vote somehow doesn't count! All I want to yell is "Of course it doesn't if you don't DO it!"  55% of the population voting in a country where you can do it freely and without threat of dying for the cause is just shameful! 

And so now, I will end my rant, as someone who could not vote tonight, but would if I could.  My gratitude is for the country we live in, and the freedom we have to make change, to be changed, and to have the opportunity to put an X on a piece of paper and have our voices heard.  End Rant...


No comments:

Post a Comment