Tuesday 15 October 2013

Patience is a virtue...

Today, we finally did what we had been putting off for a little while.  We took Ethan for his first "big boy" haircut!  I had decided that he was too wiggly and I was too chicken to trim it myself, as I was afraid I might either hurt him, or at the very least, make him look silly.  So we did it...we packed him and our camera up, and took him to my hair dresser, Erica at Mint Spa in Summerside.  

I am so glad we did this, because it did end up being a bit traumatic for the little guy.  And he did move...quite a bit! He sat in the chair by himself for a few minutes, but the minute the scissors came out, I had to hold him.  Then the distractions had to start...we talked to him, my Mom and Dad made faces, trying to get him to laugh, we gave him cookies, anything we could think of that might keep him still.  

Through it all, Erica was so patient with him.  She took the opportunity to cut when she could, and gave him breaks when he was extra wiggly. She smiled at him and reassured him every step of the way, never losing her composure or showing frustration.  There were a few tears on Ethan's part, but that didn't stop her from being kind and compassionate with him, which I loved.  And one of the reasons I love her, even for cutting my hair, is her soft, pleasant voice.

So today, I am grateful for patience, and for Erica, who reminded me that it is so important to be gentle and encouraging when Ethan is discovering something new, especially when it could be scary.  I think, as a society, we lose our patience too often, forgetting that everyone is on a different journey and that each of us could be doing whatever it is, for the first time.  This time of discovery is so precious, and so full of love and adventure. 

As my maternal grandmother would say, patience is a virtue :)

                                                                   Before...





                                                                   During...




All Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment