Sunday 6 October 2013

Balancing excitement and challenge!

So, today was World Wide Communion Sunday, and even more than most Sundays, I was especially looking forward to this one.  It was the first opportunity that I'd had to celebrate communion (solo, as I had assisted the minister who so gracefully filled in for me while on maternity leave) with the people of my pastoral charge since my covenanting service with them over a year ago.  And so, to mark the occasion, I used the same liturgy as we had that night.  

I guess I should back track a bit by saying that all of the elements for our service are projected on screen, rather than everyone having paper.  I really enjoy this, as it means that I need less paper too, and feel a bit freer to move around, especially while we're singing.  But this week, as I was looking forward to the service, things also became a bit challenging when the technology decided that it wasn't going to work as planned.  Luckily, our pastoral charge secretary had a bit of extra time to spend working these problems out, and eventually decided to use her own laptop so that things had a better chance at running smoothly.

At our service in Borden, everything ran without any problem.  But in Bedeque, where different cords had to be used, things didn't go as smoothly.  It didn't help that our early service had gone a bit later, so we were rushing a bit to make things happen on time, and that we wanted things to be well done in Bedeque because we were welcoming the local Masonic Lodges to our service! Overall though, I must say, that when I let go of needing the details to be perfect, things worked out much better, and I even think I was able to relax a bit and enjoy how things happened in the service.

My moment of gratitude was for our secretary and all of the gifts she so willingly shares with us to make sure that things run smoothly (even when challenge seems to overshadow excitement).  So, if anyone out there sees her this week, say thank you! I know I couldn't do what I do in this place without her :)



No comments:

Post a Comment