Thursday 24 October 2013

Partners in the Dance

One of the many aspects of Celtic Spirituality that I reflected upon while in Tatamagouche, was that of finding a spiritual practice that allows me to connect to the Divine image within me.  For many years, that practice had been liturgical dance, but since having Ethan, I have neglected this.

For me, dancing invites a connection between my physical being, my spirit, the earth, and God's Spirit. Sometimes, it includes music, other times it includes scripture, but it is always an outpouring of thanksgiving for that light found both within me, and the ground beneath my feet.  It is prayer, felt deeply within my bones and in the energy between me and the ground.  

It took me a while to realize that it is also a form of meditation for me, as quite often when I dance, I feel lost to my surroundings.  Especially if others are watching me during worship, I feel as though I am in the room, aware only of the floor beneath me and the Spirit swirling around me. When dancing with others, I feel an intense connection to their spirits as well, which is a very beautiful way to know others.  

It is my deep hope that dance will become part of my spiritual reality again.  I long for the connection and am grateful for the remembrance that I am not alone when I do it, but am connected to the Spirit and to the Earth, who are my partners in this mysterious pattern of steps and breathing.  May the deepening of these connections continue to grow, and continue to fill my life with gratitude.  


No comments:

Post a Comment