Wednesday 9 October 2013

Keep on learning!

I was deeply moved today, by the interview given by Malala.  I was lucky enough to catch some of it on the radio this morning, and some more of it on The National tonight.  Listening to her, and watching her, I cannot help but be attracted to her eyes and her voice, for they hold deep passion, wisdom, courage, and understanding.  I have no idea of her struggle, for as a girl and woman here in Canada, education was never a life or death struggle.  Her message of giving a voice to the voiceless, and working for women's rights is one that needs to be continuously heard by me, not so that I remember that these issues need fighting for, but as a reminder of all that I have here, and not to take my education or what I can continue to do freely, for granted, ever.  

The fact that I can read books to Ethan, take him outside to play and learn, and continue to learn myself, have been named as rights, but in light of the fact that so many in our world cannot do any of these things without fear, I feel they are gifts for which to be grateful, for it seems that they can be taken away in the blink of an eye.  And so I hope that, as he grows, Ethan will come to understand these gifts that are his, and will live his life in such a way that promotes equality,and safety, while understanding the incredible tool that is life long learning.


1 comment:

  1. Powerful stuff Catherine, she is a very remarkable young person. I too am moved by her courage, strength, and resilience. B

    ReplyDelete