Tuesday 22 October 2013

A New Harmony...from Tatamagouche to Bedeque

For the last two and a half days, I've been in Tatamagouche, more specifically, at the Tatamagouche Centre, immersing myself in a course on Celtic Spirituality.  For those of you who know me, Celtic Spirituality has shaped much of my understanding of God, Church, and Community.  This workshop featured John Philip Newell, a Celtic writer whom I have been reading for a few years now, and who was a main source for my graduate project for my M.Div.  Yep, you caught me, total Church Geek moment...I felt like his groupie, getting to meet him for the first time in person! 

I can't really put into words yet, what I learned at this event, as I am still sifting through the swirl that is in my soul.  But what I can tell you is this:  I was surrounded, for the whole weekend, by pure beauty.  Beauty in the place where we were, beauty in the people with whom I learned, and beauty in the friends who surrounded me and spent time with Ethan so that I could completely bask in the wonderfulness of this discipline.  

I do feel as though I am seeing the world as a more sparkly place.  I don't mean this to sound as if I am living in a fairy tale, but that I am seeing the shine of God reflecting more clearly.  Everything from the shine in Ethan's eyes, to the beauty that was found in the leaves on my lawn as I pulled in the driveway, seem to be pointing me in the direction of intentional noticing of God's deep and abiding presence.  

I will post more about these learnings in the days to come, but for tonight, I am grateful for the gift of retreat: for the chance to press my reset button in order to see the world through a different lens.  To John Philip, Wilf, Ricky, Uncle Ambury, Penny, Nicole, and Margaret, Mary Beth and Joan Sutherland, I say my deepest heartfelt thank you, and send much love.

                                Ethan and Margaret




John Philip Newell and I



Tatamagouche in Autumn

No comments:

Post a Comment